Hi, my name's Hayley and I'm a watercolour and calligraphy artist based in Cornwall, UK. I have a BA Honours degree in Fashion Design from Nottingham Trent University (from about 100 years ago). I live with my partner Matt, our two little girls and our sofa hogging dog, Lola. Our main family business is Sunset Tipis and I create my Moon Calendars during the quieter winter months.
I compiled my first Moon Calendar out of necessity when I returned from living in Australia in 2010. There's an awesome Aussie astrologer called Thomas Zimmer who creates these amazing calendars but unfortunately they're only compatible for the Southern hemisphere. So in the years that followed, I really missed those bloody posters so I attempted my own version. It was pretty small, it didn't have as much detail so I made a couple of copies and gave them to friends and family. Years later and I've made contact with Thomas Zimmer* and now I design and sell full scale astrological moon calendars based on his original wheel format, with his approval.
The calendar includes lots of various details but one of my favourites is the Lunar Planting Guide. The concept for this is based on a principle of harnessing the most fertile times to plant and propagate to maximise a plant's yield. I got shot down once in an online gardening group for asking about Lunar Gardening. There are ardent growers who are wholly dismissive to the idea. And to be fair I get it, on the surface it sounds like hippy dippy waffle, but the impact of varying degrees of light has a huge impacts on a plant's success - any grower would agree with that. So on a very basic level, the variance in the pitch blackness of a new moon compared to a bright full moon would make a difference. Let's not also forget that the moon does indeed move the earth's oceans with its awesome gravitational power - so its potential effect on plant life shouldn't be so easily dismissed.
I also have a huge fascination with the moon's impact on women's menstrual cycles, and again this is an area not fully understood by science. In my attempts to get more information in this area I found a scientific article online about the topic (which has since been removed). It dismissed any correlation between the moon's cycles and menstrual cycles due to "only 70% of women finding a pattern comparable with lunar activity". ONLY 70%? You mean, only the vast majority of women studied? With no mention to the whole host of reasons that come to mind that can explain the other 30%.....polycystic ovaries, irregular periods, menopause, stress, illness, breastfeeding, the list goes on. It's a tricky area to find any decent research in, if anyone has any good information on the subject then please do get in touch. I can only speak for myself but I've personally drawn a lot of comfort from following lunar activity in balance with my own personal cycle. There's comfort to be had knowing you are part of a much wider picture and feeling in tune with nature. Following your own natural rhythms, allowing for periods of withdrawal and self care. I can go outside, look up at the moon and think "crikey, that time already. I better make a lasagna and get some bath salts in because it looks like I'll be off my feet for a day or two."
If you're still reading this, then I appreciate you sticking around to listen to my extended waffle. I hope you get some enjoyment from our amazing moon and if you're not already, start getting ATTUNED!
Love Hayley x
*As an end note regarding the astrologer Thomas Zimmer. He obviously has absolutely the right idea in life and has no social media, website, email address or even a telephone. Our correspondence is through letter writing which is pretty slow but also pretty cool. A percentage of all sales from Moon Phase Studio calendars will be paid to Thomas with thanks.